Friday, June 3, 2022

 

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where
        does my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
   who made heaven and earth.

                      Psalm 121. 1-2

(As one of the psalms of ascent,
this passage does not imply
       looking over a beautiful vista,
but the impossible mountain,
           sheer cliffs,
           and steep slope before me.
How do I approach it?
How do I navigate it?
How do I endure?
We all struggle with something.
But where I seek help
   defines the journey and outcome.
God grants me help
            step by step,
seeking Him
     and moving forward
     in His strength,
               not our own.
Take one step
    and the next will emerge.
And in the process,
others are encouraged
             to trust Him too.
How we approach this ordinary day
         or degree of difficulty
directs us to Him
and points others to God
   who are watching us
   on the side of the path
to see not if we are successful
    but faithful to Him.)

O LORD,
May Your strength be revealed
    not just to us,
but to all those around us.
How in the world
        do we ascend these hills,
   if not by Your strength?
Our help comes from You.
May we never forget that.
Whatever it may be,
conquering the mountain is not
                 the point,
but trusting You.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.